I love cheese, I love pasta… I LOVE MAC AND CHEESE!! And yet I’m lactose intolerant… oh well.. my favourite mac and cheese I have ever had is at ikea… I know.. not what you expected to hear… but it is true! I have been trying to find an actual good, super creamy and super cheesy mac and cheese recipe. I tried this one because I had all the ingredients from “Today’s Parents” online magazine. This recipe is adapted from that one. I needed a basic guideline to get me started. Next time I will add a bit more flare. Anyways my verdict on this recipe is very good. I thought the flavour was good, really easy to make and it was very cheesy (not because I listened to the recipe but because I listened to my gurgling stomach). I also added bacon to this recipe because I thought… why not… it was a very delicious touch. This is a very good basic stovetop recipe that is great on its own and very variable. I served this dish with garlic toast which my hubby made and steamed broccoli and cauliflower.
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 4 cups (1 L) milk
- 1½ cups (375 mL) elbow macaroni
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded orange cheddar cheese (or more…. )
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp pepper (or more for taste)
- 3-5 strips of bacon diced
- Dice up desired amount of bacon and cook in the bottom of a large pot until desired crispiness is reached. Pat extra grease off of bacon and set aside.
- Melt butter in pot used for bacon (remaining bacon fat/bits adds yummy flavour) over low heat.
- Once melted stir in flour, salt, pepper and garlic powder. I like to use a whisk at first to prevent clumping. Then add the milk and pasta to the pot. Increase the heat to medium and carefully bring to a boil, stirring often to keep the macaroni from clumping together and the pot from boiling over.
- When it reaches a boil, immediately reduce the heat to low and let simmer, stirring frequently to prevent sticking, for 12 to 15 minutes or until the macaroni is tender.
- Remove from heat, add the grated cheese and stir until it melts smoothly into the sauce.
- Add in bacon and serve!