This weekend I made some delicious Turtle Fudge Cookies. I am in the middle of moving so most of my kitchen tools have been packed away… including my beloved red KitchenAid. This means that I had to make these cookies totally by hand which was a lovely change, it felt more relaxing and “back to basics”. The results were definetly worth it.
These cookies were inspired by our favourite chocolate fudge cookie which you can find here. I adapted this recipe for something a bit different. One of my favourite flavour combos is chocolate, caramel and pecans the definition of a turtle. These cookies are filled with chocolate flavour and filled with pecan chunks and smothered with caramel sauce!
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, roughly chopped
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of roughly chopped pecans
- 20-30 individually wrapped caramels
- 2-4 tablespoons cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Melt butter and chocolate in heat-proof bowl in a double boiler. (Make a double boiler by placing a heat-proof bowl over a pot of simmering water). You also can melt the butter and chocolate in a microwave in 20 second increments, stirring in-between.
- In a separate bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Mix together eggs, brown sugar and vanilla with a electric mixer on high or with a whisk by hand until light and fluffy.
- Slowly and carefully mix in the melted chocolate to the egg and sugar mixture. Now add the chopped pecans.
- Now add the flour mixture until just combined.
- This batter should be quite thick. If it seems too loose than you can put it into the fridge until it firms up (30-60 minutes).
- Place heaping tablespoons of batter onto a greased baking sheet and bake until shiny and cracked on the top (9-12 minutes).
- Cool on baking sheets for 10 minutes and then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- Melt caramels with 2 tablespoons of cream in the microwave in 15 second increments. Adjust cream amount to accomplish your desired consistency.
- I prefer the sauce very thick.
- Once the caramel sauce is ready smother the cookies with caramel by spooning a heaping tablespoon on top.
- Put a whole pecan on top of soft caramel to make it pretty 🙂