Last night I was cooking away… doing my thing when all of a sudden it started hailing. I could hear the ice balls bash against the roof and windows and the metal hand rail outside. I feel like I must remind you that it is indeed June… mid June and we just had a hail storm…
Anyways I digress. Considering the crazy weather this recipe seems fitting. It is delicious and comforting. The flavor combo of cheese,pasta and Alfredo is guaranteed a winner. It’s important to have something you can rely on when you live in an unstable world where it hails in JUNE.
I found this recipe on pinterest a couple months ago and finally got around to trying it. The recipe is from Gimme Some Oven you can find the original recipe here. This recipe was supposed to be baked ziti and I was going to use penne, but when I got home I realized my stock of penne had dwindled far beyond what I thought it had, so I used rigatoni instead! It was still delicious! This is a really easy recipe and could be put together ahead of time and then just thrown into the oven when bellies start grumbling.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 12oz of pasta like ziti, penne or rigatoni
- 2 cups shredded chicken (1 large chicken breast or 2 small chicken breasts should do it)
- 1 batch of alfredo sauce (above) or use your own recipe or a canned sauce to cut time shorter
- 1 1/2- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Grease a 9X13 baking dish
- Cook pasta in a pot of salted water with a drizzle of olive oil. Cook to al dente. Drain and coat lightly with oil to prevent clumping and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large saute pan or sauce pot (I used a sauce pot) and add the garlic. Cook for about one minute or until it becomes quite fragrant and make sure to stir occasionally. Sprinkle in the flour and cook for a couple minutes until it turns a light brown.
- Slowly add the chicken broth, whisking until smooth. Now add the milk, if you would like to add nutmeg now would be the time. Bring to a simmer and allow it to thicken. Now add the Parmesan cheese. Once the cheese has been melted add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the pasta to the Alfredo sauce, and then add the shredded chicken. Mix until the pasta is well coated and the chicken is evenly distributed throughout.
- Add half of the pasta mixture into the baking dish, sprinkle half of the cheese on top of the pasta. Now add the rest of the pasta and top with the remaining amount of cheese.
- Put into the oven and bake until 20-25 minutes until the cheese is just melted and slightly golden brown.
- Serve warm and enjoy this cozy meal.
I enjoyed my chicken alfredo bake while playing a game of Ticket to Ride Europe with my hubby! So fun!