This has got to be one of my all time, all realities ultimate favourite comfort food recipes. I know I know it has a lot of butter and a lot of cream and a lot of cheese, but it is worth it for that every once in a while when the moon is purple and your pet pig sprouts some wings kind of time. There are lots of recipes out there for “lighter” Alfredo or “cauliflower” Alfredo and those are all fine and dandy, but sometimes you need the real thing right? RIGHT.
I found this recipe on Chef in Training and you can find the link to the recipe here. I have learnt that this recipe is only good the night you make it. Because it is a butter based sauce when the Alfredo cools and is reheated the butter and cream separate and you just end up with a a mess of noodles in a pool of melted butter. I warn you of this so you don’t go to work super excited that you have this delicious lunch to look forward to and then the time comes and DUH DUH DUH it is ruined and you have to go to McDonald’s or IHOP. I have started to half this recipe because I am just cooking for my husband and I. If you are cooking for more than two than I would recommend sticking to the original recipe. I follow this recipe basically to a “T” except I add a dash of nutmeg, I personally think it is a MUST in an Alfredo sauce. This is another meal to add to your “cozy” collection 🙂
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 garlic cloves minced (I use a garlic press)
- 2 cups cream (I used whipping cream)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- In a medium pot or medium skillet with high edges melt the butter over medium heat. Once the butter is melted add the garlic, cream. salt, pepper and nutmeg (if you wish). Stir and bring it to a low boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 8 minutes or it has thickened.
- Take off the heat and slowly add the cheese, whisk to incorporate fully.
- Return to heat to ensure the cheese is fully melted.
- Serve with pasta such as fettuccine or penne. If you desire you can grill up some chicken and serve along side.