It is winter, even though the weather here wouldn’t hint towards that conclusion. It has been getting darker much quicker, and I don’t like that. I commute to school on the bus on my own. My husband and I have opposite schedules, so I end up going home at least an hour before him everyday. However, now that it is getting dark by 5 o’clock in the evening I don’t like going home on my own. I don’t feel comfortable or safe enough, so I have been waiting at school until my hubby’s class is over. Now that I get home much later I’ve been trying to take advantage of our slow cooker. I decided to make this slow cooker Broccoli Cheese soup from Le Creme de la Crumb (recipe here). This is a really easy recipe and very yummy. My hubby and I were very glad to come home with dinner ready to eat right when we walked through the door.
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 5 Tbsp flour
- 3 Cups milk
- 3 Cups chicken broth
- 1/2 onion diced
- 3-4 cups chopped broccoli
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 Tsp Italian Seasonings
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Make a roux in a medium pot by melting the butter and then adding the flour until a clumpy paste forms. Slowly add the milk until a thick white sauce forms.
- Put chicken broth, onion, broccoli, garlic, seasonings, and cream cheese into the crockpot and give it a good stir. Add the white sauce and give it another good stir.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 4-6 hours.
- Once finished cooking add the cheddar cheese and more salt and pepper until desired taste is reached.