Oreos are the essence of my childhood. I grew up eating oreos with tea with my grandmother. I grew up eating oreos with hot chocolate with my best friend in middle school. They are delicious and chocolately and creamy and oh so GOOD. I was inspired while scrolling through pinterest this season. I noticed multiple posts about chocolate dipped oreos and I thought 2 things: (1) “I NEED THOSE IN MY LIFE” and (2) “I CAN DO THAT”. I tried making the chocolate covered oreos into oreo “pops”, but after trying this I recommend doing that only with the double stuffed oreos. Normal oreos don’t have enough icing in the middle, so the “pop” stick makes the oreo really uneven and they fall apart easily (even with some melted white chocolate “gluing” the stick in place). The next batch I do, I plan on just leaving the sticks behind. I think this will make it easier to dip them in chocolate.
These are another really easy treat that your kids could definitely help you with, and have a lot of fun doing that. You can decorate these in multiple ways. You can use Christmas sprinkles, chocolate drizzle, icing or coloured melted chocolate to make more intricate patterns, cookie crumbs, candy cane bits etc.
- white chocolate (or which ever chocolate is your favourite)
- Christmas Sprinkles
- various toppings
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler. If the chocolate is too thick you can add butter, coconut oil or cream to thin it out. I didn’t need to do this.
- Allow the melted chocolate to cool. Once cool dip oreos in chocolate by using 2 forks to allow the excess chocolate to drip back into the bowl.
- Place chocolate covered oreos onto parchment paper covered baking sheet.
- Decorate oreos in desired manner.